Friday, June 29, 2007

A Day At The Museum

Hello, I'm Icey Crink, one of the famous Crink Sisters, the older one that gets to go more places than my little sister, who is prettier than me but not as gifted. This is my story of the very long day at the museum, of which the movie is probably better than this story. But I wrote it anyway.
Mr. and Mrs. C dragged me along to the museum today. We had to drive a total of 2 hours and 25 minutes each way. Mr. C timed it for two different routes. I was the navigator and kept them from getting lost on the road.

This is the rest stop at the Alabama state line. No toys here, just maps and bathrooms. Why do humans have to "stop" to "go"?

There was a display of American Flags attached to white crosses with people's names written on them. It lasted about half a mile and it was near Fort McClellan. We were all quiet while we passed the flags.


Finally, we arrived at the museum. It was filled with old stuff, older than me. I sat with the Indian which was a Remington sculpture made of metal. It was shinier than the picture shows. All the time, I was hoping the curator didn't catch me playing with stuff.

This is how people used to make yarn. It's called a spinning wheel. The display also had old rocking chairs and a bench and other stuff.

This is an old grand piano but it was square. Imagine that. I heard the keys were made from bones.

This is definitely not a Maytag. It was the way people used to wash dirty clothes. In the middle was the wringer, of which the saying "Wring Your Scrawny Little Neck" comes from, I think.

I met some old big dolls and a bear in a wicker carriage. There was a parasol on top.

Now on to the Egyptian stuff. The displays are in progress. I had to help with some of them. What a chore.


First picture: reproduction boxes that were the kind that held old bones and mummies. See me in there?Second picture, I found an old bowl just my size. Somebody said it was about 2000 years old. It looked it, I'll tell you that. I don't think I'd eat my gruel out of that one.

I snuck into the display which includes an antique burial mask. Cool stuff, things that were unwrapped in mummies and they're really real. The toy soldiers are called dioramas. They're not old.


Here are my new friends: Pharoah I, Pharoah II and Guard. They're reproductions, but Pharoah II is covered in real gold leaf. He shines.

Walk Like An Egyptian, and offer bribes...I mean gifts to the Pharoah.

I met an antique member of the Crink Sisterhood. I call her "Sally". I don't think she liked that. I think she's just about older than dirt. I wasn't supposed to touch her, but I did.

Now for the work part. I had to help the C's with these big stinky horses. We have to make full battle costumes for them, at least all the cloth part. It has been and will continue to be too much trouble. But the C's don't seem to mind at all. They think it's exciting for some odd reason. Strange people.

Well, this is me on the horse and then there's a closeup. I handed pins out and threatened to cut off the horse's tail with the scissors if he wouldn't be still. The C's use scrap fabric to drape the horse and cut the pattern out. You'll be surprised at the finished product and how it can be made from this silly light blue dog coat.


Here's me with the boy in a chariot. The C's have to dress a bunch of mannequins too, in authentic style Egyptian clothes. Yeah, real stylish eh? I'm seriously thinking I adore polyester about now. Give me double knits, y'all. Black or purple, of course. The human guy in the back is the head artist for the display. We surprised him when we took the picture. Ha, gotcha.

Good grief, stupid horse. Don't eat me! Oh, you're just smelling. That was scary.

And here's the perfect end to a...long day. Not only did we drive back-roads on the way home, but there were spots where there were NO cell phone bars. I mean, what if we had gotten a flat tire or something. It would have been a disaster.

And, it rained.

No comments: