Monday, June 18, 2007

The New Girls who aren't really New



Christa: "May I introduce to you two Susie Sad Eyes dolls. Mama brought them home from the doll show June 2007. They are from 1971 and 1972.


"Mama used to have a 16 inch vinyl doll when she was a little girl, called Love Me Linda. She disappeared mysteriously, as lots of childhood dolls do. These two little 8 inch girls remind her of her Linda. They have bodies similar in shape to Penny Brite.


"Since they are so old as to be almost vintage, (36 years old), they have a very different perspective on life than I do. I will ask them to talk for themselves as they have seen a lot and been many places before they came home to live with us."





Icey: "I'm Icey and it is short for Isabel but pronounced with a Long I. My favorite colors are black and grey. My face is sculpted after the artwork of Margaret Keane. Don't be fooled. I'm not always sad. My last name is Crink."


Tia: "I'm Tia, the little sister. Icey is a year older than me. Originally I was called Susie Slicker but I'm identical in many ways to Susie Sad Eyes. I happen to be about 1/2 inch shorter than Icey. My vinyl is a bit more pink and my eye painting varies slightly from Icey's. We were manufactured by Fun World. We came in cheap cardboard boxes and cost about $1 in 1972. My favorite colors are black and mauve. The dark greyer mauve, not the pinker one."


Icey: "We are not comfortable telling too much at this point. It has been a very long time since we were welcomed into someone's, anyone's household. Miss C. keeps trying to tell us that we are going to be an important part of her doll family. I say, Prove It."

Tia: "Icey, hush. We have to be good. I like it here. We have new clothes, we got to go in Miss C's purse to the fabric store, and even got to pick out our own cloth and ribbon. And she didn't insist on pink."

Icey: "I know. Maybe I'll try harder. My memory is longer than yours, little one. All I ever got was purchased and put on a shelf for no good reason. And then I got dragged to all these doll shows and nobody wanted me for years and years. And don't you think anyone ever wanted you either. We weren't even reunited until a few days ago."

Tia: "Yeah, well that was a bummer. But now we live together and we can have adventures."

Icey: "What, like playing with spiders?"

Tia: "No, silly. There are no spiders here, except maybe outside. Miss C said she'd look for some small toys that we like, and take us places with her sometimes. And take pictures of us having fun. Maybe even get us some furniture."

Icey: "Yeah, like that will ever happen."

Tia: "You just watch and see. I have a Good Feeling about this."

Icey: "I'm glad YOU do."

Christa: "See what Mama and I have to deal with? Two very cute little girls who were left alone and unloved for too many years. I think they'll come around eventually...maybe."

No comments: